Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Touching the Hem of His Garment - Mrs. W.J. Starr (Triumphs of Faith 3.2)

TOUCHING THE HEM OF HIS GARMENT.

BY MRS. W.J. STARR.


It is with thanksgiving and praise to God that I bear witness to His willingness to heal the body as well as the soul.

In the summer of 1877 my blood became very sluggish in its circulation, so that I suffered from cold even during the hottest weather. This was accompanied with severe sinking spells, in which I lay speechless and rigid, unable to move a muscle, though perfectly conscious. These continued, growing more frequent, until the time of my healing. At first my disease was pronounced as nervous prostration, but it was afterwards found to be a complication of serious internal troubles. My liver, also, became badly deranged, causing severe attacks of bilious colic, combined with neuralgia. I could sit up only a short time, and when lying down was almost helpless. My sufferings were without cessation. I was unable to become reconciled to this affliction, not then realizing that “God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform.”

I had not yet ceased to hope for recovery, but there were days and weeks of gloom, and times when reason itself was almost dethroned. After suffering in this way for nearly a year and a half, my principal disease took another form, decidedly for the worse. As time went on and I saw no improvement, I became discouraged and questioned my doctor closely. He described to me the seriousness of my case, but encouraged me to hope for recovery in time.

Soon after this acquaintance sent word that she would bring me a book entitled “Faith Cures,” by Dr. Cullis, and that I need to take no more medicine if I would trust the Lord to heal me.

I was much grieved, thinking that she could not realize the extend of my sufferings, or she would not recommend healing by such a method! But after thinking the matter over, I concluded that her motive could be only one of kindness, and when she came I was prepared to receive the book with gratitude.

I began reading it with ever increasing interest, and the Lord blessed it to me in a wonderful manner. I questioned why, if these things were true, I could not be healed in the same way, since God is no respecter of persons, and I began to cry, “Lord, increase my faith.” While thus pleading, my should seemed filled with “the fullness of God,” and I felt underneath me “the everlasting arms” lifting me upward, and still upward, until the word seemed disappearing in the distance, and I was lost in the immensity of God’s love. At first, I questioned what this strange, next experience might be, as my conversion, years before, had been very clear; but though like Jacob I knew not the name of my Heavenly Guest, I felt the overshadowing of the Divine Presence.

I remained some weeks in this uplifted state, and my meditation of God was so sweet that I desired no other though to intrude. My physical health continued about the same; I fully realized God’s power, but I was not yet assured of His willingness to heal my body. I felt the need of support from those stronger in the faith, and sent requests for prayer to Dr. Cullis and to Mrs. Mix, both well known for their great faith.

At the hour appointed by Dr. Cullis, my pastor requested all who were in sympathy to remember me, and throughout the village earnest prayers ascended from the hearts of both friends and strangers. I passed the hour In communion with the Lord, and the room seemed filled with His glory.

Had I known then, as I do now, the simplicity of the way, that the only requirement is unfaltering trust in God’s word alone, I have no doubt that the work would have been done immediately, but it was not until another year of instruction in the school of suffering, that I at length learned God’s willingness to make me perfectly whole.

My faith had not yet reached the point where I could lay aside all medicine and depended entirely upon the Great Physician; consequently I grew much worse. At times during my sickness, I had suffered more or less from dyspepsia, and this now began to trouble me seriously. I felt that I was slowly starving, and in my intense hunger the sight of food brought tears to my eyes. The little nourishment when I was obligated to take caused great suffering.

Everything was done fore me by my physician and friends that loving hearts could devise, but in spire of their tender care, I failed rapidly. At one time I nearly lost the use of my right arm, being unable to raise it without the assistance of the other. I had for a long time suffered from weakness in my spine, and this greatly increased, causing much inflammation and sensitiveness. I could sit upright but a few moments, when in spite of every effort to prevent it, I would begin to double over, growing very sick and faint, and the slightest movement of my body, created a terrible sensation, as if the joints were slipping by each other. Even the bed was a torture, and the only position approaching ease, was lying upon my face. I tried sun-baths, painting with iodine, etc., but all these, instead of bringing relief, aggravated the disease. My kind physician, who had hitherto seemed hopeful, now grew completely discouraged, and said he could do nothing more fore me. I was not surprised to hear this, as I had realized for some months that the Lord alone could heal me. However, at the urgent request of friends, I tried a third mode of treatment which, for a short time, slightly relieved me in some respects, while in others I grew much worse.

On the twenty-eighth day of August, 1880, a  few friends gathered in my room for prayer in my behalf. Some of them had strong faith for my healing, others were wavering. These meetings were continued weekly throughout the fall and winter, and were inexpressibly dear to me, helping much cheer to my sick-room.

During the winter I suffered much from catarrh, ulcers in the throat, and large swellings on my neck, which we feared would prove to be abscesses. In addition to all my other troubles, towards spring, a severe cold settled on my lungs, which had been weak for years; my breathing was so difficult that I was obligated to have the doors open, and use a fan almost constantly.

Sometimes previous to this, God had shown me, through the reading of His Word, that I should be healed by the laying on of hands in the name of the Lord. I was very anxious to see Mrs. Mix, but my friends did not fully sympathize with me in this desire. I was so firmly convinced, however, that this was the Lord’s will for me, that we agreed to make it a subject of special prayer.

After three months’ waiting, the friend who had first called my attention to faith-healing, came one Sunday to read to me. She was deeply impressed with the verse, “All they that had any sick brought them unto Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them and healed them.-(Luke iv: 40.) She said she was ready to send immediately for Mrs. Mix, if I desired, and I gave an eager assent. She wrote to Mrs. M… who returned the word that it was not convenient for her to come, and directed us to send for Mr. E.O. Allen, of Springfield, Mass.

My friend wrote, asking him to come, and after two weeks more of suffering and trial, the Lord permitted him to come to me.

As Mr. A… offered prayer, laying his hands upon me in the name of the Lord, I felt an intense heat an moisture over the surface of my body, until at length my whole being was permeated b this Divine healing power, and I unhesitatingly declared myself healed; then rising, in the name of the Lord, I walked several times across the floor. I was freed from all pain, and, like the Nobleman’s son, began to mend from that very hour.

Not that I have been from that time exempt from all suffering; many times I have been sorely tried, but not above that I was able toe bear, for with temptation, God has also made “a way of escape.” Each new trial has but served to strengthen my faith, each deliverance has been to God’s greater glory. In the course of a few weeks, during which time I visited the Faith Home, in Springfield, and was greatly blessed, I could walk half a mile, and could go up and down stairs without human help. I was soon enabled to resume my household duties, and to have the care of my child, which pleasure had never before permitted me.

It is now several months since my recovery, and my strength has steadily increased, to the astonishment of all who knew my former condition.

My only desire in writing this account of my sickness and healing, is that God will use if for His glory, and for the encouragement of His suffering ones. T all such I would say, “Trust ye in the Lord forever, for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.”


            Groton, Conn.