Thursday, April 3, 2014

Light on the Word and Recovery from Sickness - Mrs. E.E. Chambers (Triumphs of Faith 12.1)

LIGHT ON THE WORD AND RECOVERY FROM SICKNESS.

BY MRS. E.E. CHAMBERS.


Six months ago I was invalid, and had ben for four years. For three years I was confined to the house, and much of the time to my couch; only going out to a Church service, and to visit friends occasionally, and then when at my very best condition.

Such efforts were usually followed by increased prostration and often by great physical embarrassment.

This state of ill-health was brought on principally, I think, by overtaxing my physical strength. In the severe winter of 1877, my mother died, and during several weeks of her last sickness and death, I was obligated, in my two journeys to her, to ride over roads which were almost impassible because of deep snow.

Soon after this my health failed. During the four years of my ill-health, I was under the care of four different physicians, all of whom were regarded skillful, and in whom we had great confidence. Especially to Dr. Miner, of Buffalo, who I would ascribe most grateful acknowledgments for skillful treatment and kind attention.

Last spring, just six months ago, my courage began o fail, as I saw no evidence of increasing strength, and as every attempt to exert myself to go out, even to the nearest neighbor’s, was only attended by renewed prostration. But one day-how well do I remember the day! March 15, 1881—one of our friends living near, Mrs. Drs. S…, came to the door and handed me a little book, entitled “The Prayer of Faith,” by Miss Carrie F. Judd, of Buffalo, asking me to read it. I took it with no very great interest, but began at once to read, and read the first two chapters, all I was able to do at that time. Immediately, strange as it may seem-and I can only account for it, but by believing it to be the power of the Holy Spirit, in answer perhaps to the prayers of its author, my attention was arrested and I began to believe. It was never easy for me to believe in the supernatural, certainly not as belonging to these days. But the fats stated in Miss Judd’s experience during her remarkable recovery from sickness, were too well established for refutation; and as I read of others, in the same book, recovered from sickness n the same way, my heart began to open to the truth, and I said, “Truly, ‘God is no respecter of persons,’” and what He will do for one person that He will, by the same means, do for another.” So after finishing the book the following day, I began to search the Scriptures with a settled determination to see, if possible-God helping me by the aid of the Spirit- “if these things were so;” the greatest fear of my mind being, lest I should be imbibe some false doctrine. But by prayer and reading under the influence of the Holy Spirit, fait, sprang up, and at one I began to walk out and work by faith, constantly looking unto the Lord to uphold and strengthen me.

Gradually, form the first, strength came; and with it such a new experience of Christ’s sustaining power and grace, as at times filled my whole being with joy and peace, as unspeakable as they were intense and precious. The word seemed a new book; fuller, stronger, more satisfying than ever before. The promises seemed more direct and real, and the Saviour a very present and most precious Helper.

True, there were times of darkness, but like the April clouds, they were soon succeeded by sunshine; and increasingly as strength came to my body, hope and fear gave place to a settled conviction of God’s constant presence manifested in upholding me.

From the first I laid aside all medicine, and have continued to grow strong without remedies, trusting alone to the Great Physician to recover me by the cleansing power of the blood of Christ.

The amount that I have been able to do during these last six months is proof of renewed health and strength. Every Sunday, with but one exception, have I been able to attend the services of the Church. Four times have I been away on the cars, and spending several days visiting friends in different places. I walk, make calls, I read and write and attend to my household affairs, as I have not been able to do for years before. While previous to last March every effort weakened me; since looking to Jesus Christ alone for strength, such efforts have brought both physical strength and spiritual blessing.

The Scripture passages which were of especial help in leading met o look to the Lord for recovery, were principally these;

“Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows.

“He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities, the chastisement of our peace was upon Him, and with His stripes we are healed.

“Himself took our infirmities and bare our sickness.

“That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

“He that spared not His own Son but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him, also, freely give us all things.

“Is anything afflicted? Let him also pray, and the prayer of faith shall save the sick.

“Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

“When I cry unto Thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know, for God is for me.

“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to-day and forever.

“Cast thy burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain thee.

“Fear thou not for I am with thee: be not dismayed, for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

“Behold all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish.

“Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

“Who forgieth all thine iniquities: Who healeth all thy diseases.”

All these passages of Scripture impressed me, more and more, that it was my privilege to ask to be recovered to health, simply on the ground of the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, our sacrifice; but the question would arise, “How do you know that this is not presumption? There are many, very many profound Biblical scholars who do not teach such a doctrine?” Then I remembered the word of inspiration, which says, “If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not, and it shall be given him.” Also, “If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine.” “I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go; I will guide thee with mine eye.”

I remembered also that the bodies of the children of Israel were recovered from the bite of the serpents, simply by looking unto “the serpent of brass,” which was lifted up, representing Christ, our Great Physician.

Besides all this, I had not only the prayers of my family, but those of the church to which we belong; and was also remembered in prayer by Miss Judd in her meetings at “Fait Sanctuary.”

I would also mention that one day, the first day of April, when a new difficulty in my case arose, was spent in fasting and prayer.

I have given these particulars, that others, who are suffering, may not give up to discouragement, even though their difficulties seem beyond control, for the blessed words is full of invitation and of promise and our Saviour is a great Saviour, and He will save, as He has declared, to the uttermost of all who come unto God by Him. He has himself said, “Fear not: believe only.” “All things are possible to him that believeth.”
           

            Albion N.Y., Sept 15, 1881