Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Healed by the Great Physician - L.E.E. (Triumphs of Faith 4.2)



HEALED BY THE GREAT PHYSICIAN

BY L. E. E.


The excessively hard work in the schools for Freedman in the South during the year 1872 induced a sever illness, from which I never fully recovered. Over-work, anxiety, or under care, would cause always days-sometimes weeks-of prostration. Strength seemed slowly wasting, and in the fall of ’77 I was taken down with spinal fever. In the spring I gained a little, but the summer being a very hard one for me, I became much reduced, and when the cool weather came, was only able to move about the house very feebly, and with great pains. Again my old enemy, spinal fever, laid me low, and again I partly rallied so as to move around a little but after each attack I was weaker, more waited, more hopeless than after the preceding. Another year passed, and, as the leaves began to fade and fall, hope went out of my heart utterly. I was confined to the bed the whole time, and always in great pain.

The most skillful physicians had been consulted; humanly speaking, all had been done that could be done.

At this time a sister wrote me to write Dr. Foster, of Clifton Springs, N.Y., for his advice. She could not give up my recovery.

I wrote him, and in reply he said: “You are far beyond the reach of human aid; but there is the Great Physician. Have you ever thought of going directly to Him for healing?”

In the same letter he gave me Miss Judd’s address, and the fact that she had been healed of a similar disease in answer to the prayer of faith.

While I did not doubt her healing, I could not believe it was for me to be thus restores. Weeks passed; I grew weaker, often not able to speak or to swallow solid food for days together. These attacks always followed some effort on my part to help myself, or do a little more than usual. I tried very hard to sew and knit in bed, even after my left arm became almost helpless. These desperate efforts to work were sure to be followed by weeks of agonizing pain.

One day I said to mother, “Will you lay the last paper on my bed?” Some days I could read a few lines at a time, though with great pain and weariness. My eyes rested on a notice of Dr. Tyng’s sermon, “The Mountain Moves.” I said to myself, “ I will go to the Lord Jesus Christ-I will touch the hem of His garment- I will be made whole;” but, just as it would seem to me that I stood near Him, multitudes of doubts and fears crowded me back. I could not reach Him. I could close my eyes and see His loved form, weary and wayworn, traveling the road to Bethany, or standing upon the sands of Galilee, but I could not reach Him, I was so full of unbelief and darkness.

When I had strength to do so, I wrote Miss Judd. She replied at once, telling me that at her house the next Thursday evening, between seven and nine o’clock, the members of the Faith-Meeting would unite with me in claiming the promise to the sick, in James v.

She told me to consecrate myself wholly to the Lord, and pray for faith; to ask God to show me if there was anything in my heart that would prevent the wonderful work of grace in my life, and if He showed me nothing, to rest content that there was nothing. This was Saturday. My sister was with me, making a good-by call, for she, too, was sick, and was going to Chicago for medical advice. As she stooped over the bed to kiss me, she said, “I shall never kiss you on the bed again.” She was gone, leaving her prophetic words ringing in my ears. I read Miss Judd’s letter again, “We will pray for you on Thursday evening between seven and nine. You have only to believe, and God will do more for you than you can ask or think. Pay no attention to your feelings from that hour. If your bad symptoms continue, they do not arise from the disease, for that will be eradicated; but they are permitted to test your faith. Get right up and walk by faith.”

Monday A.M. I had great light given to me, but Tuesday and Wednesday were days of great darkness and many temptations. Thursday brought no peace of mind. I could not see that I had any faith, and so I longed to see my faith, that I might know for a certainty that I had it. I gave up the struggle towards night, as a tired child does. There came into my heart a consciousness of the sweetness of obedience. I repeated again and again, “Obedience, obedience.”

As the hour drew near, all the members of the family withdrew for prayer. Mother came to my room; I could not keep awake, though I tried very hard. I would rouse enough to know I was sleeping, and would say, “Dear Lord Jesus, forgive me and help me to keep awake,” and, with His name on my lips, be instantly lost in a sweet, sound sleep.

Between half-past eight and nine I was awake; mother had gone to her room. I turned over, got up, walked to her room, out to the kitchen, where I sat down for a few moments, and then arose, opened the door, stepped out onto the piazza and walked down to the north end, then turned, walked back to the south end into the parlor, and through to my own room! I had no human help. From the first I walked alone. Mother followed me gently, praising the Lord with a trembling voice. In the morning I dressed myself with little help, and at ten o’clock went out to meet my father, who had just come in on that morning’s train. As he opened the gate I stood on the steps! I cannot describe those days, so filled with joy and fear.

Friday, the 24th, I rode down to the Post-office, and after returning, worked with my hands for two hours. My helpless left arm moved easily. Saturday A.M., Christmas morning, I walked quite a distance over the frozen ground, did a good deal of work during the day, and read and wrote some. I had more or less pain each day, but my strength was wonderful. For eight months previous to my healing I had not eaten a meal at table. When I had tried to sit up I had invariably fainted or fallen from my chair; but now, in one short hour, I had been made strong. Christmas passed; Sabbath morning came; I found my strength all gone. I had to learn that the “Lord was my strength.” Then, and then only, could I make continued exertions. My strength, which the Great Physician had withheld, to teach me to walk by faith, was, in the afternoon of the same day, instantly restored.

I soon learned that there was but one way, and that was to look continually to Jesus to complete the work which he had begun. I was His own child, brought with a price; to please Him was the one strong desire of my heart; to grieve Him caused the greatest sorrow.

I continued to grow strong. In three weeks I went twenty-five miles to see a sick sister, when she, too, was healed in answer to prayer. And the sister that went to Chicago consulted the best talent of that city, only to learn that she might possibly be relieved, but could not be cured, all the physicians agreeing that there was an inherited tendency in our family to diseases of nerve centuries. Before leaving Chicago she wrote Miss Judd. We, at home, remembered her also, and she was restored to health. I walked to the depot to meet her upon her return.

Two sisters in Florida, in different stages of chronic wasting of spinal cord, were restored within a few months, and a brother, who was a great sufferer from hip-disease, was made well and strong, even though the bone was in a state of ulceration, and he greatly reduced. HE put away his crutches and now uses a cane, unless he designs taking a long walk. His lameness is not wholly removed, but the pain and soreness were immediately rebuked, and I have no doubt that, had his faith claimed restoration of limb to its natural size and shape, it would have been make whole like the other.

These restorations, following one after the other, lifted the black cloud that had hung over our lives for ten years. We could only praise the Lord continually for His wonderful works to the children of men.

At present, after a year’s work, we are all well, and doing hard service. I can study many hours without the faintest trace of pain in my head, take long walks without fatigue. I never lie down to rest during the day, and often study until ten or eleven o’clock in the evening. I have gained many pounds in flesh; in fact, I am perfectly well.

Praise the Lord, and blessed be His holy name.

            December 19, 1881

***

The above is strictly true. I am acquainted with all the parties mentioned and with all the facts, and shall take pleasure in replying to any question that may be asked in regard to the matter.

            Rev M. L. Eastman,
                        Royalton, Wis,.
                        Formerly Lisbon, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.