Sunday, February 2, 2014

Enough - Frances Ridley Havergal (Triumphs of Faith 1.4)

ENOUGH

BY FRANCES RIDLEY HAVERGAL


I am so weak, dear Lord, I cannot stand
            One moment without Thee!
But oh! The tenderness of Thine enfolding,
            And oh! The faithfulness of Thine upholding,
And Oh! The strength of Thy right hand!
            That strength is enough for me!

I am so needy, Lord, and yet I know
            All fullness dwells in Thee;
And hour by hour that never-failing treasure
            Supplies and fills in overflowing measure,
My least, my greatest need; and so
            Thy grace is enough for me!

It is so sweet to trust Thy word alone:
            I do not ask to see
The unveiling of Thy purpose, or the shining
            Of future light on mysteries untwining:
Thy promise-roll is all my own,-
            Thy word is enough for me!

The human heart asks love; but now I know
            That my heart hath from Thee
All real, and full, and marvelous affection,
            So near, so human; yet divine perfection
Thrills gloriously the mighty glow!
            Thy love is enough for me!

There were strange souls-depths, restless, vast and broad,
            Unfathomed as the sea;
An infinite craving for some infinite stilling;
            But now Thy perfect love is perfect filling!
Lord Jesus Christ, my Lord, my God,
            Thou, Thou art enough for me!


                        -From “Loyal Responses.”