Thursday, February 20, 2014

Abounding in Faith - Carrie F. Judd (Triumphs of Faith 1.7)

ABOUNDING IN FAITH.

BY CARRIE F. JUDD


How many times we hear the expression from professing Christians, “I wish I had more faith; but it is natural for me to doubt, and I cannot get the living faith which some possess.”

Now, because I once stood in this very place myself, understanding how impossible it was to please God without faith, and painfully realizing how little true faith I possessed, I am able to appreciate the position of these longing but mistaken souls, and I which by the light which God has since given me, to solve for them their weight perplexities in regard to faith.



© khrawlings
In the first place no one has the right to excuse a lack of faith by saying that he was not born with faith. It is not natural for any of us to believe God, for the heart unrenewed by grace has that evil tendency of unbelief which was awakened in the hearts of our first parents by the subtle suggestions of the enemy. It was setting aside God’s word, and giving heed to Stan’s lies, which led them to disobedience of God’s commands, and this sad disregard of God’s truth is natural to any heart which has not been transformed by the Holy Ghost.

Since faith is absolutely essential to us in approaching our Maker, we may be sure that He Who has commanded us to “Have faith in God” has not left us powerless to secure this faith.

A wonderful flood of light is poured upon our souls by these words in Rom. x:17; “Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” I recall a time in my own experience when I was undergoing a severe trial, and when I felt the necessity of having my faith strengthened and matured to meet the emergency. The text just quoted came forcibly to my mind and with a depth of meaning which I had never perceived in it before. Repeating the words slowly, I said: “I am not quite sure what the ‘hearing’ means, but I do know what the word of God is, and I will study it until I have the ‘haring,’ and then an increase of faith will come.”

I took up my Bible, feeling as though I now had the key to depths of spiritual riches hitherto unknown to my soul, and I drank in each word, “not as the word of men, but as it is, in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh in those that believe.”

And coming thus to God’s unchangeable Word, not in any spirit of human reasoning, but realizing that every sentence was the very essence of truth and power, because given us by the God of truth, I had my spiritual ears opened to hear more distinctly the voice of the Holy Spirit, and to experience thereby an increase of living faith.

Could we look below the surface of the lives around us, would we not invariably find that those who are strong in faith and in the power of the Lord, are those who most diligently and meekly search the Word of God. This is the secret of vitality in a Christian’s life.

When we remember that, “By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth” (Psalms, xxxiii:6), that “He spake and it was done, He commanded and it stood fast,” we can see that it only requires His word in our hearts to “divide the light from the darkness,” and to fashion them after the new creation, in the image of Christ, our Redeemer. “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever.”-(1 Pet. i:23.)

The Psalmist says, “the entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.” –(Psa. cxix:130.) Let us implore God to open our hearts by His Holy Spirit, that His words may enter and abide forever. Our Saviour said, “If ye abide in Me, and My words abide I you, ye shall ask what ye will and it shall be done unto you;” and again He illustrates this abiding of His word in His parable of Sower, sowing the Word of the Kingdom.

Some seed fell by the wayside, some on the rock, and some among thorns, but none of these brought forth fruit to perfection. “But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the world and understandeth it, which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty.”

Not only must we hear God’s word, but we must hear it with the understanding which only the Holy Spirit can give, and God has promised His blessed Spirit to all who ask Him. “He that hath ears to hear let him hear.”

The wise Preacher said, “Where the world of a King is there is power” (Eccl. viii:4), and those who meekly receive the word of our Heavenly King into their hearts shall indeed know for themselves that “the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” –(Heb iv:12.) To those of us who are really sincere in our desire to be wholly the Lord’s the words just quoted have a most precious import, for we know that if we “search the Scriptures,” God’s sharp, powerful words will enter our souls and cut away all fleshy hindrances to our growth in grace.

And since man must “live by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” (Matt. Iv:4), we must no study alone those portions of the Bible which seem most pleasing, but remember that all was given for our instruction in the heavenly life.


Are we longing to have the love of God dwelling more richly in our hearts? Then let us receive this truth, “Whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected.-(1 John. ii:5.)